The Parkinson's Foundation has designated 45 medical centers around the world as "Centers of Excellence," including 31 in the United States. A Parkinson's Foundation Center of Excellence is a medical center with a specialized team of neurologists, movement disorder specialists, physical and occupational therapists, mental health professionals and others who are up to date on the latest Parkinson's disease (PD) medications, therapies and research to provide the best care.
The Parkinson's Foundation Center of Excellence status is the most respected and sought-after designation in the movement disorders field, with each center required to meet rigorous clinical, research, professional education and patient care criteria.
Centers of Excellence:
- Provide expert care to more than 145,000 people with PD
- Set the highest standards of care worldwide for people with PD
- Advance research to improve the lives of everyone with Parkinson's treated at centers and beyond, and for future generations
- Provide patient education programs, community outreach programs and specialized Parkinson's training for healthcare professionals
The Parkinson's Foundation brings the Centers of Excellence together annually for a "Center Leadership Conference" to provide updates on care and research initiatives. Every center must recertify after five years to ensure requisite standards of care.
Parkinson's Outcomes Project
Nearly half of the Parkinson's Foundation Centers of Excellence participate in the Parkinson's Outcomes Project — the largest clinical study of Parkinson's funded by the Foundation which tracks over 12,000 people living with the disease over time to identify which treatments and therapies provide the best outcomes.
Get Expert Care Today
Search for a Parkinson's Foundation Center of Excellence or call our Helpline at 1-800-4PD-INFO.
Help Us Expand the Network
Only 10 percent of those diagnosed with Parkinson's receive the best care from health professionals who specialize in this complex disease. The Center of Excellence network is an important part of the Parkinson's Foundation goal to ensure the other 90 percent of patients have access to expert care, so they can live better lives.